2. specific system construction and on-site management when Start Mold Manufacturing
2.1 CAM programmer team
CAM programming plays a crucial role in mold production. Inefficient coding or lack of technical skills by programmers can lead to a workpiece taking more than twice as long, or even longer, to be processed on a CNC machine.
By further developing UG, and standardizing the use of UG processing templates and establishing a UG tool library, programmers can make unified settings, reducing the need to adjust many parameters. This lessens the tediousness and mistakes in manual input of processing parameters, improving programming efficiency, CNC machinery processing efficiency, and machining accuracy.
It can save at least a quarter of human resources, and can also improve the utilization efficiency of the machinery.
The technical level of programming is directly related to the quality, precision and work efficiency of CNC, EDM, wire cutting, grinding and assembly.
2.2 mold CNC Machining Team
CNC Machining team is an important department of mold manufacturing, its processing quality and efficiency is directly related to the success or failure of the plastic injection mold.
This team needs to be by hardware resources, machine operators, production technology process, departmental norms and other parts of the effective combination of hardware and software, so that the plastic injection mold production quality and efficiency to fully meet the design requirements.
(1) Hardware machine tools and software programs are programmed and automated.
(2) Foolproof operation of the operator, just load the tool according to the program, no need to modify the program speed, feed, etc.. Prevent manual error.
3）Cooperate with programming to realize paperless operation. Save cost and improve efficiency.
(4) Strictly implement the three inspections (first inspection, mutual inspection, self-inspection), the three no’s (do not let go without investigating the cause, do not let go without implementing preventive measures, do not let go of unqualified products).
(5) tool machining precision wear check to ensure that the quality and accuracy of the processed workpiece to FIT mold once completed. No frustration knife use phenomenon.
(6) The tools in the tool magazine are checked regularly every day, and unqualified tools are replaced in time.
2.3 EDM Machining Team
Electrical discharge machining (EDM) holds a significant position in the mold industry due to its wide range of applications, minimal cutting forces, and ease of shaping. By directly utilizing electrical energy for gap discharge, EDM can process small holes, hard alloys, mirror-like surfaces, and nearly all shapes. It can also perform special surface processing, making its range of applications extensive.
Electrical discharge machining (EDM) is appropriate to use graphite electrodes to process, the cost of graphite is about 1.5-2 times the copper cost, but graphite discharge speed is 30% faster than copper, processing speed than the copper block of 50% or more.
1）Cooperate with programming to realize paperless operation, save cost and improve efficiency.
2) Secondary development, to achieve EDM discharge automation, programming, standardization, the basic concept is that the operator loaded electrodes, the workpiece will be divided in the center, open the CNC file generated automatically by the programming, automatic discharge, including XYZ data automatically completed, discharge parameters are automatically set up, the current pulse width and so on.
(3) Foolproof anti-dumbing operation for the operator, just process according to the program, no need to modify the program to prevent manual error.
4) Strict implementation of the three inspections, three not.
2.4 Slow Wire-Cut(EDW) Team
In the plastic injection mold manufacturing industry, Slow Wire-Cut(EDW) is an indispensable component, from the original fast wire cut development into the current precision slow wire cut.
Wire cutting requires the configuration of various fixtures for rapid clamping of parts, which can effectively improve clamping time, reduce part minutes and comparison time, and save labor costs. For processing non-precision parts, mid-wire cutting machines can be used for roughing (such as inserts, row positions, oblique tops, etc).
The roughing time of mid-wire cutting is twice that of fast wire walking. For precision parts, galvanized wire can be used for processing. The processing speed of galvanized wire is 13% of copper wire, but the cost of galvanized wire is slightly higher than that of copper wire.
2.5 CNC Turning, milling, grinding, drilling Team
CNC Turning, milling, grinding and drilling are the relevant processes of the plastic injection mold manufacturing.
Lathes are mainly used for processing external shapes, internal holes, threads, and round materials.
Milling machines are mainly used for processing pin holes, screw holes, water transport holes, spring holes, tapping, and rough processing of mold components.
Grinding machines are primarily used for precision processing of mold components and can handle various high-hardness and super-hard materials.
Drilling machines are mainly used for drilling water cooling holes.
The grinding group belongs to pure manual craftsmanship, one person per machine. Due to low production efficiency and low machine cost, the depreciation rate is also low, so it is not suitable to operate night shifts. Usually, it is for injection plastic mold making, and during less busy times, standard mold parts can be processed for storage, to be used in future mold assembly. If a large number of stored standard mold parts can be used, it can greatly reduce part processing time, thereby shortening the production cycle of the mold.
Train employees in grinding techniques, mastering common knowledge of the causes and prevention of grinding and milling defects.
Train in the construction, use, adjustment, and maintenance of common tools, clamps, and measuring tools.
Train on the types, brands, specifications, performance, use, and maintenance of common cutting tools and grinding wheels.
Train on the types, brands, milling and grinding performance, and thermal expansion and contraction performance of metal materials.
Train employees to understand the method of reading mold drawings, the conversion and application of trigonometric functions.
Train on machine specifications, performance, structure, transmission system, and adjustment methods.
2.6 Mold Assembly Team
Mold Assembly is the last process following the completion of all processing, It is a key positionin in the entire mold manufacturing.
In terms of precision mold manufacturing, the management of the assembly workshop and the operator’s requirements are also very strict, which is reflected in the quality of the product requirements, mold spare parts finishing data, appearance and maintenance, but also requires operators to have a good sense of quality and operational practices.
The assembly operation is manual work, which requires clear thinking and meticulous handwork.
Before getting the workpieces for assembly, we should first check whether there is any omission or mistake in each position.
In the assembly should pay attention to the work practices, FIT when the sanding machine is prohibited, a small number of places are allowed to use sandpaper and oil stone to get rid of the knife lines.
1）Develop a standard “mold assembly operation guidelines”, the mold sliders, inserts, lifters, cavity & core and other FIT mold into the operating instructions.
2）Develop and improve the “mold assembly technology manual”, collect experienced and known examples of assembly, do teaching materials for regular training.
(3) Regularly summarize the abnormalities or experiences every month, and make PPT training materials for each master of toolmakers.
2.7 Mold Technical Engineer (TE) Team
The modification plan made by TE is critical. Some plastic injection mold factories do not have strong TE capabilities, leading to frequent mold repairs, and aside from customer modifications, it’s common to see over ten self-initiated repairs. A single mold repair can cost from a few thousand to nearly ten thousand yuan, and frequent repairs are one of the main reasons why a plastic injection mold factory may not be profitable.
1) Detailed response plans should be laid out categorically for common mold issues such as flash, shrinkage, deformation, weld lines, and white spots.
2) For size modifications, the inspection should start from the 3D solid steel material, then to the product, and finally to the injection parameters, gradually troubleshooting the causes.
3) TE should summarize experiences. The reasons for each failed mold repair should be reviewed to avoid turning the repair plan into an experimental plan.
2.8 Machining Processes Planning Team
Planning relates to the entire mold’s progress control and delivery deadline, while the technology directly affects the mold’s accuracy and efficiency, as well as the final quality of the mold product. Every mold components has different processing methods, requiring comprehensive consideration of processing costs, operation difficulty, and labor efficiency to reasonably arrange the process flow.
1) Planning should include a detailed schedule, encompassing the design, material ordering, material arrival, mold base, drawing output, standard parts, individual parts, mold core, inserts, sliders, lifters, pressure block, wear-resistant piece, and other detailed processing steps.
2) Process follow-up should be timely and accurate. Each day, the status of parts should be checked against the plan.
3) The processing technology should be color-coded (for secondary development), with a detailed processing plan established. For front molds, rear molds, sliders, inserts, etc., detailed processing rules should be outlined. The processing sequence and steps for programming, CNC, grinding machine, milling machine, wire cutting, EDM machine, lathe, and drilling machine should be distinguished to minimize waiting time.